A spanking position is a position assumed by the spanker and the spankee that facilitates the spanking. Firstly, the spankee's buttocks are well-presented for the punishment, and there are two important aspects here - reach and view (for good aim, and to see the effect of the spanks). Secondly, a spanking position is often designed such that the spankee cannot move out of position easily unless permitted by the spanker. Thirdly, a good spanking position is comfortable for both the spankee and the spanker, does not obstruct breathing, circulation, and minimizes the risk of injury from uncontrolled body movements.
There are many such positions, and each has its own characteristics, advantages and disadvantages. The choice of position will influence the "feel" of the spanking for both the spanker and the spankee. As an (often welcome) side effect, practically all spanking positions are also humbling or humiliating for the spankee to assume.
Many people have strong opinions as to which positions they personally like or dislike. The choice of position depends on many factors, including:
- whether the spanking is on the spot or prepared
- what spanking implement is to be used
- whether the spanking will be quick or long
- whether body contact is desired or not
- the spankee's weight and size
- whether the spankee tends to hold still very well, or squirms a lot, or even attempts to escape
- the spanker's physical strength
- where the spanking will be given
- what items of furniture are available
- the "type" of spanking: disciplinary, sensual or erotic
While in BDSM, the bottom will often be restrained for their punishment, restraints are rarely used except mainly in judicial corporal punishment only. The reason why restraints are usually unnecessary is that either the spankee is generally cooperative (or trained) not to get out of position, or the position makes it physically difficult or impossible even for an uncooperative spankee to get out without the spanker's permission. Some spanking positions are also suitable for bondage.
The following are some anatomical considerations of a spanking position:
- What is the angle of the legs with respect to the torso? This determines how taut the buttocks are (gluteal muscles and skin) and whether clenching is possible or not. For spankees with less fleshy buttocks, if the buttocks are taut, there is a higher risk of hitting the pelvic bone and injuring them.
- Are the legs together or apart? This influences the shape of the buttocks, and affects whether the inside of the crack and the anal and genital regions are exposed, and whether the inner thighs can be targeted.
- Is the head lower, on the same level, or higher than the torso? This determines blood circulation because if the head is too low with respect to the torso, blood will flow faster into the head and cause drowsiness or giddiness.
- Does the position require the spankee to exert some force to remain in position? Can the spankee relax all his/her muscles when in position? This determines whether the spankee is able to focus fully on the spanking and not be distracted by having to struggle to remain in position.
- Is breathing difficult? If breathing is difficult, then that position should not be adopted because it is risky.
Popular spanking positions
Body contact between spanker and spankee:
- The over-the-knee position (OTK position): The spanker sits either at the edge of a couch/bed or on a plain, armless chair while the spankee lies flat across the spanker's lap. This position is the most common in disciplinary spanking (especially for children) for two reasons - the spankee's buttocks are in a very spankable position, and the spankee cannot get out of position without the spanker's approval.
- The over-one-knee position: The spankee bends sideways over only one of the spanker's thighs (several variants).
- The frontal over-the-lap position: A variant of the OTK position in which the spankee is not laid sideways over the lap, but is taken between the seated spanker's knees, facing the spanker.
- The straddling position: A variant of the OTK position in which the spankee is astride or straddling the spanker's lap.
- The tucked-under-the-arm position: The spanker is seated on a couch or bed with the spankee next to them, such that the spankee's body above the waist is behind the spanker.
- The underarm position: Similar to the tucked-under-the-arm position, but with both partners standing.
- The standing-between-legs position: The spankee is standing, restrained by the legs between the seated spanker's legs.
- The head-between-legs positions (several variants).
- The waist-between-legs positions (several variants).
- The reverse riding position: The spanker is "riding" the spankee backwards, facing the spankee's buttocks.
Spankee's torso or hips on object:
- The half-standing position: The spankee stands up, but with the torso resting horizontally on a desk or table. In another version, the spankee just holds onto the edge of the desk without the torso resting on the desk.
- The bent-over-object position: The spankee bends over a chair or stool, or the arm of an armchair or couch, such that his/her knees are off the ground (not kneeling); his/her legs may touch the floor, but do not bear any weight.
- The kneeling position. The spankee kneels down, usually with their torso on a block or chair. This position is common for birching.
- The knees-and-chest position: A variation of the on-all-fours position where the spankee's head and chest is lower, so his/her bottom sticks up into the air.
- The lying position: The spankee lies down flat on a bed or couch, with the spanker standing beside. The spankee may also lie down on the floor or lie on their side while the spanker sits on top and spanks them from the side. The position can be enhanced by placing a pile of cushions, pillows or a bolster under the spankee's hips so that his/her bottom sticks up higher. All lying positions are well suited for using a whipping implement.
- The horsed position: The spankee is carried ("horsed") on the back of a third person.
- The bottom-highest position: The spankee goes "all the way over", such that their entire torso, and head, is lower than their legs. This position is not good for circulation.
- The whipping frame position: The spankee is positioned on a specially constructed frame (trestle, rack, A-frame, triangle) in a way that usually causes the spankee's buttocks to be in a very spankable position. Depending on the type of frame used, the spankee's body may form an inverted V-shape on the frame with the buttocks at the apex, an L-shape (similar to the half-standing position), or a leaning-standing position with the buttocks sticking out.
No support at all under the spankee's torso or hips:
- The standing position: The spankee stands upright. The spanker can steady the spanker with his/her non-spanking hand to help him/her to maintain balance and stay in position (see underarm position).
- The leaning position: The spankee stands but leans forward against a wall or against a sturdy piece of furniture, such as a table.
- The bent-over position: The spankee bends over, and can either place his/her hands on the knees for a more upright position or grab the ankles or touch the toes for a more sharply bent position.
- The murgha position: The spankee bends his/her body forward in a squatting position, with the head down and the buttocks up, the arms passing through the gap between the legs and the hands strictly holding or pulling the ears. The ears are held between the thumb and the index finger.
- The push-up position: The spankee goes into a push-up position on the ground, keeping their bottom up.
- The on-all-fours position: The spankee gets down on his/her hands (or elbows) and knees.
- The knee-chest position: The spankee gets down on his/her knees and lowers his/her chest so his/her bottom sticks up into the air.
- The lunge position: Similar to a push-up position, where the spankee's hands and feet are on the ground, with (nearly) straight knees off the ground and the buttocks sticking up into the air.
- The diaper position: The spankee reclines on his/her back and the spankee's legs are lifted up and held during the spanking.
- The plow position: The spankee reclines on his/her back and lifts his/her legs behind his/her head.
The spankee may be placed in any one of these positions, or one suited for the use of any spanking furniture.
- Sitting on lap, facing the spanker, legs spread (example in a hentai manga, )
- Over lap, legs up
- The handstand position, as seen in the short film La Valiente
- The bongo position
- The two spankees OTK position
- The door leaf position
- Standing/walking bongo position (F/f home video clip)
- Upside down trestle / pushed up diaper position (M/F photo, )
- Plow position between the spanker's legs by El Manto Negro (F/F, )
Images of other unusual spanking positions:
Using a ladder. Allegorical illustration (1703).
A mix of the diaper, underarm, and over one knee position. Illustration from À la baguette by Victor du Cheynier (1909).
Upside down horsed position. Illustration from L'École du Fouet by Georges Topfer (1920).
- Brat war dance
- Objectives of spanking positions (for aspects in which the choice of position can facilitate and enhance the spanking)
- Forced motion
- Slave positions
|Spanking positions (see also Objectives of spanking positions)|