A spanking machine is a machine for automatically administering a spanking. Many such machines have been portrayed in stories and spanking drawings. Recently a few such machines have been built and offered for sale, largely to a very specialized BDSM market.
The idea seems to be an enduring one, although unlike such mechanical devices for capital punishment as the Guillotine, the electric chair, and the gas chamber, it has never entered mainstream use.
Most conceptions of a spanking machine involved rotating wheels with paddles, flexible paddles, straps, or switches attached. Other versions involved spring-loaded arms or levers, with a paddle or strap attached, that are drawn back against the pull of the spring, and then released to strike the target, usually the buttocks of the delinquent. Some versions combined these two approaches, with a peg on a rotating wheel serving to draw back a spring-loaded arm, as in the image on the right.
Most imagined spanking machines are completely automatic devices, comparable to a windmill. Some have been more or less robotic in nature, with some degree of computerized intelligence. One of the more extreme versions of this was the "Spankmaster", a machine appearing in Lurking Dragon's story "Diaspora" (part of the Rejuve Universe series).
In The Rationale of Punishment (1830), philosopher Jeremy Bentham (1748-1832) wrote:
"Of all these different modes of punishment, whipping is the most frequently in use; but in whipping not even the qualities of the instrument are ascertained by written law: while the quantity of force to be employed in its application is altogether intrusted to the caprice of the executioner. He may make the punishment as trifling or as severe as he pleases. He may derive from this power a source of revenue, so that the offender will be punished, not in proportion to his offence, but to his poverty. If he has been unfortunate, and not able to secure his plunder, or honest, and has voluntarily given it up, and thus has nothing left to make a sop for Cerberus, he suffers the rigour---perhaps more than the rigour---of the law. Good fortune and perseverance, in dishonesty, would have enabled him to buy indulgence.
"The following contrivance would, in a measure, obviate this inconvenience:---A machine might be made, which should put in motion certain elastic rods of cane or whalebone, the number and size of which might be determined by the law: the body of the delinquent might be subjected to the strokes of these rods, and the force and rapidity with which they should be applied, might be prescribed by the Judge: thus everything which is arbitrary might be removed. A public officer, of more responsible character than the common executioner, might preside over the infliction of the punishment; and when there were many delinquents to be punished, his time might be saved, and the terror of the scene heightened, without increasing the actual suffering, by increasing the number of the machines, and subjecting all the offenders to punishment at the same time."
In 1898, The New York Times reported the invention of an electric "spanking chair" that was put to use at the Girl's Industrial School of Kansas (see image to the right). However Warden Hoyt explained at a conference the following year that his remarks had been intended as a joke, and that there never was a "spanking machine".
In Mistress Masham's Repose (1946), T. H. White speculated on a similar device to apply bastinado automatically. Since that book is a parody of (as well as sequel to) Gulliver's Travels, the same sprit of the early Age of Reason as in the Bentham quote is plausibly invoked.
Walt Disney featured a mouthsoaping-and-spanking machine, connected to a lie detector, in their 1939 animated 8-minute film The Practical Pig (YouTube).
 Gallery 1: Vintage spanking machine drawings
The following gallery features vintage illustrations and cartoons of spanking machines. In those days, an often featured aspect of the spanking machine concept was that such a machine could be built to chastise not just one delinquent but a whole row of offenders simultaneously.
A Russian conception of a spanking machine.
A German conception of a spanking machine.
Little Nemo comic strip from February 7, 1909
"Electric birches" (United Kingdom, possibly 1920s).
 Gallery 2: Contemporary spanking machine designs
The following gallery features contemporary spanking machine drawings and rendered art.
Example of Machine/f intended for child discipline at home, by CopyKats (2008).
Another spanking machine by CopyKats (2013).
 Spanking machine with human spanker
The drawing to the right shows a spanking machine in which the machine does not actually do the spanking, but rotates a group of spankees such that a single spanker can spank them all from one position.
 Self-spanking machines
- Main article: spanking bike
A special case are self-spanking machines. These are machines that are constructed such that the spankee actually powers the machine that spanks them, typically built on the bicycle principle. For more on this, see spanking bike.
 Actual machines
- US patent #920,837 was issued for a "Combined Lifting and Spanking Machine" in 1909. According to other sources, the patent of the machine by DeMoulin Bros. & Co dates back to 1900. The machine was used in fraternity and Masonic initiation rituals.
- Gonzo Games (USA Network, 1991), was a game show that featured two female contestants riding stationary bicycles rigged with a spanking machine that paddled them when the speed decreased.
- The Robospanker by DD Machinery claimed to be the "the world's first robotic spanking machine". According to the maker, "Robospanker uses a small motor to drive a trigger device, which draws back a spring-loaded paddle. Then suddenly releases the paddle giving the subject, who is bent over in front of it, a good swift lick on the behind. You adjust the tension of the spank from a light pat, to a very painful whack." Prices in April 2006 were listed as varying from $750 to $1050 depending on the options selected.
- The Spank-O-Matic claimed to be "a highly adjustable, lift-and-drop spanking machine. Front-facing spanking arms and swing stand allow a wide range of positions." The price in April 2006 was listed as $1000.
 Spanking Tube & xHamster video clips
- Amy vs the Spanking Machine (Pain4Fem)
- The Spanking Machine 3 (Pain4Fem)
- Spanked and Impaled (Kink.com)
- Zendaman, scene from Japanese animated series on YouTube.
 See also
- Machine/, machine/F, machine/M, machine/f, machine/m
- Jeremy Bentham on Wikipedia
- T. H. White on Wikipedia
- Initiation rite on Wikipedia
- Proceedings of the Annual Congress of the National Prison Association, Hartford, Connecticut, September 1899.
 Links on Robospanker
- Robospanker offical site
- 2003 story from The Spanking News about Robospanker
- Spankoz's page on spanking machines, including ads for the Robospanker and the "Spank-O-Matic"
- "The Spanking Blog's" picture of a public demo of a spanking machine in 2003, which may be the "Robospanker"
- Spanking Bethie (blog) comments on Robospanker
 Links on Spank-O-Matic
- Spank-O-Matic from Orgasm Alley
- The Spanking Machine: A Resilient Myth In Popular Culture by Colin Farrell on World Corporal Punishment Research
- Tulle Ruth's spanking machine site
- A page from "The Spanking Blog" with a drawing of a spanking machine
- DeMoulin Bros. Lifting and Spanking Machine with photos of an actually built machine
- Drawing of the "Lifting and spanking machine
- Comment by "Ober McNee" who claims to have built a spanking machine for use in a video by Pacific Force
- Description of how to build a spanking machine out of a washing machine by "Robin Hoodwink"
- Discussion of how to build a spanking machine out of a rotisserie by Ron McIngle
- Spanking machine drawings on Fesse Rouge
- A rendered spanking machine (Flash animation with sound)
- Another drawing of a spanking machine, but this one is for use on women
- Still from Der die Tollkirsche ausgräbt (on IMDB)
- Vintage spanking machine for women drawing
- Sakura Wars MiniVelo Spanking
- The Caning Machine –1950’s, an account from a copy of 'Penalties And Punishments' by C.J. Kyte, published in 1954, with a drawing (machine/F)
- Cartoon postcard "Addled Ads" (other version) - "Wanted: An appeal! Requires kindness. Try the automatic substitute for corporal punishment. No need to hurt your hands or use exertion. Our invention does the trick."
 Links to stories
- "Diaspora" Lurking Dragon's classic story of a spanking machine encounter that goes very badly wrong. Warning: Contains a very severe spanking of a six-year-old child.
- "The Beaver Finds the Spanking Machine" a story by Y. Lee Coyote
- "Spanking Machine" a story by "Spanker Rob"
- "Levels" A spanking machine story by "The Mechanic"
- The Adventures of Bratgirl: "Episode Two: The Spanking Machine" a stoy by "Bratgirl"
- "Prison Punishment" a story by "Chuck"
- "Out of Storage" A machine/F story by "CHORUS1"
- "In Trouble Again" A machine/F story by "CHORUS1"
- "Sorry, No Coyote Story Today (Machine/male)" a Summer Story Contest entry by Y. Lee Coyote.
- "Hell Week" A spanking Machine/m story by Dr. Discipline, set in Lurking Dragon's Rejuve Universe.
- "Revelations" A spanking Machine/f story by Dr. Discipline, set in Lurking Dragon's Rejuve Universe.
- "Timmy's Unpleasant Encounter of the Mechanical Kind" a story by Nialos Leaning Includes severe Machine/m spanking and forced nudity in a quasi-judicial context.
- "Automaton II" a Summer Story Contest entry by Flogmaster.
- "In Need of Discipline (part 1)" and "In Need of Discipline (part 2)" a Star Trek (Next Generation) M/F and Machine/F story by Kessily
- Uncle Harvey s Incredible Spanking Machine (PDF) by Paul Arinaga (a spanking machine story for children)
- "Exploring" series by Machines and Things