Spanking in performing arts
Spanking in performing arts is rare, compared to Spanking in mainstream films.
Well-known musicals and plays
There is a famous example of an on-stage spanking in the 1948 musical Kiss Me, Kate, and a short OTK spanking scene in the 1997 musical Dance of the Vampires (based in the 1967 film The Fearless Vampire Killers). There is a brief paddling (off-stage in some settings and in the 1982 movie version) in the 1977 musical Annie. There is a threat of a whipping in the opening scene of Arthur Miller's 1953 play The Crucible. Some settings of the musical Annie features spankings. Larry Shue's play The Nerd often features a spanking.
Plays with fetish themes are occasionally produced in the United Kingdom, where there is less censorship than on public access television (where adult themes and nudity is still frowned on). One example is the schlockomedy (comedy musical) Restart by the North of England's Komedy Kollective, an anarchistically left-of-centre satirical singalong stageplay about international politics and the "War On Terror". In Dario Fo meets Rocky Horror style, it features a jobcentre dungeon scene, where unemployed people suspected of fraudulently claiming benefits, participate in Manchester's first ever "speed torture" event. A memorable scene in the play features a gimp-masked dominatrix forcing confessions out of the claimants via do-it-yourself spanking, self-flagellation, and other self-inflicted tortures.
- Molière's farce Le Médecin Malgré Lui from 1666 contains an M/F spanking scene, so this play is where spanking is often seen in theatre.
- Thomas Shadwell's play The Virtuoso (1676) includes an old libertine named Snarl who entreats a prostitute, Mrs Figgup, to bring out the birch rods. It is unclear if he is to flog her or be flogged.
- Kenneth Tynan's play Oh! Calcutta! (1969) includes at least two segments with sadomasochistic themes. One of them, set in a fantasy of an English girls public school, invites the audience to vote on which of four "girls" is beaten at the end.
- The avant-garde play The Power of Theatrical Madness (1984) by Jan Fabre has an M/F fully naked OTK hand-spanking scene.
- This or That! (New York, January 1995) - live burlesque game show with spanking penalties (video)
- Reefer Madness: The Musical (1998) is a parody of the 1936 exploitation film. In the song "Little Mary Sunshine", marijuana transforms the innocent Mary into a whip-cracking dominatrix who whips or belt-spanks her male co-star (depending on the staging). This was made into a Showtime made-for-cable film in 2005.
- The Victorian three-act play A Visit to Mrs. Birch and the Young Ladies of the Academy, originally published in The Whippingham Papers (1887), was performed in San Francisco in 2002.
- In 2014 British retro singing group The Three Belles created a musical comedy revue directly inspired by the risque letters published in London Life called "London Life, The True Story of the Secret Kinks of World War Two". Campy promotional photos for the revue feature the girls dressed in 1940s costumes dominating and spanking each other and wearing a ball-gag.
- Permission (2015) is an off-Broadway sex comedy by Robert Askins about the relationship between evangelical Christianity and sadomasochistic desire. The story follows two couples who are practitioners of Christian Domestic Discipline (or CDD) which allows husbands to spank their wives when they misbehave. (See review.)
- "Daddy" - live roleplay satire skit by the PSL comedy troupe
- The Wooden Spoon - a 9 minute Flash video of a music theater work featuring an M/f spanking (girl played by an adult actress)
- "All Right, Miss Vanessi..." "...You asked for this, and now you're going to get it!" Kiss Me, Kate fans will recognize this line instantly. It was what Fred said to Lilli just before he turned her over his knee and gave her the famous spanking. This is a Yahoo! group.
- Restart by Komedy Kollective (UK)
- School Dinners - London restuarant/cabaret where the staff wears schoolgirl uniforms and canes selected patrons.
- YouTube video of a burlesque show spanking
- Chross Creative Corner: Kiss me Kate (photo gallery)
- Chross Creative Corner: Other stage spankings (photo gallery)
|Spanking in various media and art forms|