Society in this universe is deeply impacted by a technology named rejuvenation which can transform people into a younger age—i.e. a means for age regression. For technical reasons it is only possible to make a person younger, not older. The so-called puberty barrier is another limitation to the technology: it means that the target age can not be older than about 12 years.
So all 'rejuves' come out as preteen children. They will have all the memories of an adult, but will tend to have the judgment, emotional needs and reactions of a child their physical age. For this reason, all 'rejuves' are legally treated as children and placed under the supervision of responsible adults. The age of majority in the setting is 21, this is coupled with both the Kensington treatment which is administered to everyone when they are 8 years old (or as soon as they are rejuved if they start older), it then blocks fertility until the counter-agent is applied, and the Fujikawa treatment that slows down the physical and sexual maturation process, which results in girls getting their first periods around fifteen or sixteen. Boys' voices won't change until high school.
In this universe all children are raised much more strictly than is the case in most of the world at present — spankings and other punishments are very common for all types of children. Some types of children, particularly Penitatas, are subject to much more frequent and severe punishment than others.
Many neologisms were coined for the Rejuve Universe. These are defined and explained in the stories. For that reason, it is recommended, if possible, to read the chapters in the correct order. Here is a brief explanation of the most important terms:
- rejuve: any person who was rejuvenated, and still physically a child.
- Penitatas: a convicted criminal who was rejuvenated for punishment to serve a sentence as a child under strict discipline. Also colloquially called a (bad) "penny". Marked with a silver 'P' on the back of each hand.
- Juvenala Penitatas: a Penitatas who was convicted for a juvenile crime. Marked with a silver 'J' on the back of each hand.
- Completas: a former Penitatas who has completed their sentence. Marked with a silver 'C' on the back of each hand.
- Innocentatas: a person who was convicted of a crime then later found innocent. Marked with a silver 'I' on the back of each hand.
- Voluntaras (sometimes spelled Volintaras): a person who was voluntarily rejuvenated. Marked with a silver 'V' on the back of each hand.
- Medicalos: a person who was rejuvenated for medical reasons (accidental injuries or diseases) other than old age . Marked with a silver 'M' on the back of each hand.
- Psycholos: a person who was rejuved by order of their psychotherapist. This category is reserved for extreme cases - most cases are considered Voluntaras instead since the treatment is purely elective. Marked with a silver greek letter 'Ψ'(Psi) on the back off each hand.
- Kindern: a "real" child, i.e. not a rejuve. Marked with a silver 'K' on the back of each hand.
- Prisoners of War: in accordance with the Treaty of Aldebaran, prisoners of war are rejuved back to an age where they are not any help to the war effort (for humans is is 4-5), and returned to their own side. Marked with a silver 'W' on the back of each hand.
- Android Children: The setting technology is advanced enough to produce an android. with an AI advanced enough to pass a real children in limited situations, Though they are very firmly considered objects, not people, and to avoid confusion with them with Rejuves or Kindern they are marked with a silver 'A' on the back of each hand. They cost in the thousands, but the same technology is the basis of the much cheaper Spanking Susie and Sam spanking dolls.
- plastaflesh: a material for dolls that perfectly resembles real flesh and skin.
- Mother's Helper: a light paddle.
- Bumblebee paddle: a large rectangular paddle with 1.5 cm (0.59 in) holes cut through all over the spanking surface, designed to inflict a severely blistered bottom.
- nano-lotion: a lotion that actively repairs injuries such as bruises overnight.
- bee-riefs and pain-ties: punishment underwear for boys and girls that stings the buttocks when worn due to a special kind of fabric.
- CornerStool™: a stool especially designed to make sitting on it uncomfortable, for punishment.
- panglish: the language spoken in the 28th century.
- chronostatic radiation (often shortened to C-S radiation): a dangerous type of radiation, potentially lethal.
- Chandlerian Physics: a branch of physics necessary for star-drives, It is so complex that it is normal considered to require the learning advantages of rejuvenating to master it.
- KidKuffs: children's handcuffs consisted of five centimeter-wide carbon fiber bracelets, thoroughly padded, connected by a 12 cm (4.7 in) length of light chain which is run through a 10 cm (3.9 in) metal tube. Used as a restraint for judicial spankings.
- nano-web: an implant for Penitatas that partially controls and overrides emotional reactions, forcing the mind-set into a more childish and malleable form.
 School paddles
Schools in Rejuve Universe use a system of different size paddles for school corporal punishment. For each grade, there are four different levels of paddles, #1, #2, #3 and #4, depending on the intended severity of the chastisement. In addition, there is the Principal's paddle, which is the biggest and heaviest. It should be noted that numbers are not hard and fast, as they might vary with local needs.
Both Penitatas and Non-penitatas are subject to paddlings when earned. However Penitatas can expect to get more and harder paddlings than other rejuves. This is one (but not the only) reason for the four different levels of paddles for each grade.
|Grade 1||Grade 2||Grade 3||Grade 4||Grade 5||Grade 6||Grade 7||Width||Length||Thickness|
|#1||9 cm (3.5 ″)||12 cm (4.7 ″)||0.5 cm (0.20 ″)|
|#2||#1||10 cm (3.9 ″)||15 cm (5.9 ″)||0.6 cm (0.24 ″)|
|#3||#2||#1||11 cm (4.3 ″)||18 cm (7.1 ″)||0.7 cm (0.28 ″)|
|#4||#3||#2||#1||11 cm (4.3 ″)||21 cm (8.3 ″)||0.8 cm (0.31 ″)|
|#4||#3||#2||#1||12 cm (4.7 ″)||24 cm (9.4 ″)||0.9 cm (0.35 ″)|
|#4||#3||#2||#1||12 cm (4.7 ″)||27 cm (11 ″)||1.0 cm (0.39 ″)|
|#4||#3||#2||#1||13 cm (5.1 ″)||31 cm (12 ″)||1.2 cm (0.47 ″)|
|#4||#3||#2||14 cm (5.5 ″)||33 cm (13 ″)||1.3 cm (0.51 ″)|
|#4||#3||14 cm (5.5 ″)||36 cm (14 ″)||1.4 cm (0.55 ″)|
|Principal's (Board of Education)||#4||15 cm (5.9 ″)||40 cm (16 ″)||1.5 cm (0.59 ″)|
Kindern go to schools completely separate from the schools for rejuves. While the Kindern school system use the Primary, Intermediate, Secondary school system split, Rejuves only have two schools Primary for Grades 1–7 and Secondary Grades 8–12. This division is mostly because it puts most Penitatas actually serving their sentences into Elementary school, while the majority of other rejuves will be in High School.
There is a social hierarchy among the different types of children that manifests in small ways as to whose wishes are given priority over whom. It is based on who would have the most right to be annoyed about the restrictions of being a child. The ranking is as follows from highest to lowest:
- Innocentatas: Not only forced back into childhood against their wishes, but also spent time being falsely punished as a Penitatas.
- Medicalos: Forced back to childhood due to non age related medical problems.
- Prisoners of War: Force back to childhood due to being captured in war.
- Kindern: Having no choice in being a child, because it is what they are, and are cherished as such.
- Psycholos: While a type of medicalos, it is a voluntary treatment.
- Voluntaras: have voluntarily chosen to become a young again.
- Completas: are a child because they were formerly Penitatas.
- Juvenala Penitatas: convicted for a juvenile crime.
- Penitatas (soft time): a Penitatas marked with a 'P' in the purely rehabilitation stage of their sentence.
- Penitatas (hard time): a Penitatas marked with a filled in 'P' in the primarily punitive portion of their sentence.
- Black Circle : a Penitatas marked with filled a in 'P' within a dead black circle This is exclusive to persons convicted of murder or sexual abuse of real children, Kindern. Such people are given VERY long and severe sentences!!! (Quoted from the rejuve guide.)
The Rejuve Universe has been so popular among fans that it has spawned new stories by other authors. In addition, many online roleplaying games have been set in the Rejuve Universe. Lurking Dragon publicly posted his permisison for the creation of such spin-offs, and in some cases provided editing services or advice to other authors of Rejuve Universe stories.
Such spin-offs include:
- Gracie Mae, three stories set in the Rejuve Universe by Haley and Christy Brimley
- Helpless cub by youngstormlord
- Innocentata Medicalos by Nadia Salem
- Jade growing up again, a Palcomix comic which recasts Jade Chan as penitatas (archived on Boyz Being Boyz, as Palcomix does not do on-site archives)
- The Kayla Ackart stories by Professor Bob
- Maternal Matrimony by Crimson Kid featuring a male medicalos as the main character. The stories are being hosted on Rogue's Weyr Story Page
- Pint-Sized Engineer by Roguebfl
- Seth Stories by Dr. Discipline
- Bottoms Valley, a forum with several stories set in the Rejuve Universe, and also to do Role Play (link broken as of 3/2013)
- Hickory Hills, a roleplay list set in the Rejuve Universe
- Melody's Stories Diaspora
 See also
- Lurking Dragon's Rejuve Writer's Guide
- Professor Bob's Rejuve Writer's Guide
- A writers Group on Facebook for fans of the stories to advertise and post stuff
- Rejuve Universe Wiki