A prison is a place in which people are confined and deprived of a range of liberties, either while waiting trial, while on trial, or after trial and sentence (as a long term isolation punishment). A person confined in a prison is called a prisoner. Prisoners are guarded, overseen and looked after by prison officers.
Prisons are institutions authorized by governments and forming part of a country's criminal justice system, or as facilities for holding prisoners of war.
Prison corporal punishment
In many countries to the present day, prisoners are subjected to a wide range of different punishments, including corporal punishment. In most western civilizations this distressful and humiliating practice was largely abolished during the 20th century, yet accounts of prisoners still unofficially being beaten by prison staff are highly frequent.
Officially approved prison corporal punishment is usually given on the soles of the prisoner's bare feet, the buttocks and the bare back at the hands of a corrections officer, who is sufficiently trained to use the respective beating instruments and also the appliances for restraining the inmate in place.
While male convicts are often punished on the back, this is more rarely used on female inmates, who are typically subjected to caning the bottoms of their bare feet instead (bastinado). Traditional foot whipping or caning is commonly considered as an appropriate disciplinary measure in particular for female prisoners, who are widely known to be highly receptive for this specific form of punishment. Striking the usually unclothed buttocks is used on both male and female prisoners alike, where prison CP is exercised according to law.
Instruments of punishment typically in use include the cane, the birch, the whip, the prison paddle or a leather prison strap, depending on which area to strike.
They come in two kinds:
- Judicial corporal punishment for the original crime, usually given on entering the prison (the "Welcome") and possibly again upon release. The punishment can also be ordered to be given recurringly at certain intervals during the sentence.
- Judicial corporal punishment for further crimes committed during incarceration.
- Disciplinary punishment for breaking prison rules or other forms of misconduct, such as disobedience or disrespect towards prison staff or other authorities.
Whippings in prisons were/are usually given using some item of spanking furniture to position and restrain the delinquent. Among these were/are:
- whipping posts, X-frames, etc.
- birching horses, punishment tables or benches etc.
- caning racks, caning frames, etc.
Prison corporal punishment in art and literature
Some artists have created illustrations that show prison corporal punishment scenes, for novels or for non-fiction books on the subject.
A well-known fictional work of flagellation literature, Nell in Bridewell (original title: Lenchen im Zuchthause), describes in great detail the cruelty of prison corporal punishment in the 19th century.
Spanking stories seldom elaborate on this subject. Prison corporal punishment scenes are more often found in spanking videos by comparison.
Women in Prison films (WiP) became a specialized branch of exploitation cinema in the 1970s. Today WiP films are mostly created by spanking and BDSM producers. In particular, Bars and Stripes is a pay site that features stories, photographs and videos from a fictional women's prison in which the inmates are regularly punished by spankings.
A man receiving corporal punishment in prison. By OTTO.
"Spanking" a thief in a U.S. military prison (1879).
- Judicial punishment
- Prison corporal punishment
- Prison officer
- Prisoner of war
- Corporal punishment in prisoner-of-war camps
- Women in Prison films
- Prison on Wikipedia
- Birch rod (93 cm long) from the General Prisons Board, Ireland, now in the National Museum of Ireland. "Pattern of Birch Rod for Corporal Punishment of Male Convicts when required."
- Lesbian Prison (Carnal Productions, 2023), Mila Grant, Roxy Elixir, Mistress Inkam, photos
- Prisoner Interrogation, Part 2: The Whip (Carnal Productions, 2023), photos
- Spanking Interrogation (Sarah Gregory Spanking), Dana Specht, jail setting, video
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Prison. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Spanking Art, the text of Wikipedia is available under a copyleft license, the Creative Commons Attribution Sharealike license.|