McLintock! is a 1963 comedy Western directed by Andrew V. McLaglen. It stars John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Patrick Wayne, and Stefanie Powers. The movie is loosely based on Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew.
McLintock! is said to have the "best known spanking scenes in the history of cinema". This is most likely due to the vigorous severity of both paddlings, as well as the star power of John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in the second punishment scene — which occurs at the climax of this popular and entertaining film.
|“||From a modern perspective, the film is far from politically or socially correct, but the social attitudes with respect to domestic violence reflected those of the time period portrayed, the early twentieth century.||”|
|— Source: |
Wealthy cattle baron George Washington McLintock is living the single life on his ranch. He is estranged from his wife Katherine who left him two years before, suspecting him of adultery. McLintock hires beautiful widow Louise Warren as his cook and welcomes both her and her two children into his home. Sparks begin to fly as an unexpected turn of events results in brawls, gunfire, an Indian attack...and the return of Mrs. McLintock, who wants custody over their daughter Becky (who returns from boarding school only a few days after her mother's arrival) and a divorce.
 The first spanking scene
There are two spanking scenes in this movie, both M/F. The two women are mother and daughter. Both get paddled OTK with a small fireplace shovel; the daughter by her suitor and the mother by her husband.
The first spanking scene is about three-quarters of the way through the movie (at 1:29:40). Devlin Warren (Patrick Wayne) tells pretty but bratty Becky McLintock (Stefanie Powers, aged 21) that she needs "a good spanking," and that he's going to give her one. She appeals to her father to intervene, but he replies "Leave me out of this." Seating himself on a couch, Dev pulls Becky over his knee and draws back his hand. McLintock grabs his arm but only to hand him a shovel. He then lights a cigar and watches his daughter's spanking with amusement and approval.
Becky kicks and squirms, but Dev holds her firmly on his lap. He swings the shovel high and brings it down smartly on her bottom. "Owww!" yells Becky. Encouraged by this response, Dev gives her another smack, just as hard. The camera pans away, but six more spanks are heard offscreen along with Becky's cries for mercy ("Oh Daddy help me! Dev, stop! Owww!"). Each spank is punctuated by a loud clang as the shovel connects with Becky's ass.
When her spanking is over, a tearful and mortified Becky beats a hasty retreat. She glares at her father for allowing (and helping) Dev to spank her like a naughty child, but McLintock is unperturbed. She meets her mother on the staircase, who asks her what happened. "He spanked me!" wails Becky as she rushes off to attend to her stinging tush.
 The second spanking scene
The second spanking scene is at the very end of the movie, and more famous. Pretty but bitchy Katherine McLintock (Maureen O'Hara, aged 43) is chased through town in her underwear by her angry husband G.W. McLintock (John Wayne). He is followed by a large and appreciative crowd that includes Dev and Becky, now engaged. During the chase Katie loses her petticoat, and is left in corset and bloomers, giving us some lovely views of her ample cleavage and rolling buttocks. When McLintock finally catches her, he drags her to a blacksmith's shed and hauls her across his lap. Her bosom hangs provocatively over his thigh. The scene mirrors the previous spanking: McLintock draws back his arm and Dev presses a shovel into his hand. "Thanks!" says McLintock, who promptly gives Katie a stinging smack on her splendid Irish ass. "Eeeeeek!" shrieks Katie, who bucks so hard that she nearly falls off his lap. Holding on tight, McLintock proceeds to spank her lustily, raining smack after smack on her luscious butt-cheeks. Katie yells for him to stop, but the spectators cheer him on. About 10 hearty spanks are delivered, each of them marked by Katie's screams, the laughter of the crowd and that distinctive clang.
When the spanking is over, McLintock pushes Katie off his lap and onto the ground. He then hands the shovel to Dev, saying "Keep it--you may need it!" (Becky looks quite miffed at this). While seated on the ground, Katie winces at the soreness of her booty, as well she might.
 The aftermath
The spankings have a salutary effect: Becky stops being a brat, and Katie stops being a bitch. Dev and Becky are engaged, while Katie and GW are reconciled. The movie ends with the happy prospect of both women having sex with their men, a result of which their spankings are the joyous harbingers.
- Stefanie Powers wore padding for her spanking, but Maureen O'Hara could not do the same because she was in bloomers. In her autobiography, Maureen notes that people often ask her if the spanking hurt. Her reply: "It sure as hell did. My behind was black and blue for days."
- In 1969 Powers received another over-the-knee spanking in the Western TV series Lancer (episode title: "The Black McGloins"). Video clip on YouTube.
- In a National Enquirer interview in 1973, Maureen O'Hara said she believes children should be spanked when they misbehave. She had spanked her own daughter Bronwyn (born 1944) "plenty". The actress, born in 1920 in Dublin as the oldest of six children, explained that corporal punishment was always common in her family: "We were always getting in trouble with our parents — in fact, my father had a razor strop ready for such occasions. But they were kind, wonderful and forgiving parents." O'Hara also stated that "discipline builds character that the child will be thankful for when he grows up" and "it's only a loving parent that cares enough to discipline a child."
 Other movie spanking scenes starring Maureen O'Hara
- In the 1941 movie How Green Was My Valley she smacked the young Roddy McDowall on his bare bottom, once.
- She got spanked with a horse whip in the 1951 movie Flame of Araby. (See video clip.)
- In The Long Gray Line (1955) she received a smack on her bottom from her co-star Tyrone Power.
- In the 1961 movie The Parent Trap, she smacks the young Hayley Mills once.
- In Spencer's Mountain (1963), she gets a vigorous smack on her bottom from Henry Fonda.
- In the 1965 movie The Battle of the Villa Fiorita, she is in the room when Rossano Brazzi spanks the 14-year-old Olivia Hussey, who is playing his bratty daughter.
- Source: , the originator of this quotation is unknown
 See also
- McLintock! on Wikipedia
- John Wayne on Wikipedia
- Maureen O'Hara on Wikipedia
- The History of spanking in film
- Spanking in mainstream films