A girl scout or girl guide (also capitalized Girl Scout/Girl Guide) is a girl who has joined an organization similar to the male boy scouts. Girl Guides were founded in the U.K. in 1910 as an alternative to the boys-only scout movement. This was followed by Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA) in 1912.
The concept behind the Girl Scouts is to teach young girls about physical fitness, camping, fellowship, citizenship training, community service, and career preparation. This includes various social skills, courtesy, and basic moral values regarding lying and stealing, etc.
Uniform designs for the various age groups have evolved over time and differ from one country to the next according to culture and climate.
Girl Guides in France, Italy, the U.K. and its current/former Commonwealth (Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, Australia, et al.) wear royal blue shirts or dresses with a matching cap or beret plus a yellow or red neckerchief. Cloth merit badges (awarded for various accomplishments) are worn on the sleeve or displayed on a shoulder sash. In some countries girls wear a complete uniform from head-to-toe, while others, such as Canada, only require a blue polo shirt and sash.
Camp Fire Girls, a non-affiliated organization founded in the U.S. in 1910, and Girl Scouts in Russia and Japan wear similar-looking blue uniforms.
Girl Scouts of the USA went through a series of military-style khaki designs before settling on its signature green uniform in the 1930s. The most instantly recognizable design (worn by Junior Girl Scouts from the '40s to the '80s) comprised a moss-green front-button dress, dark green beret with matching sash and a yellow bow or red neckerchief. (See Hayley Williams illustration.) Older "Cadette" Scouts wore the same hat and sash with a white blouse, gloves, and dark green skirt. For many years the traditional Brownie uniform for girls age 7-9 was a mud-brown dress, dark brown beanie, and orange tie.
In recent years the GSUSA expanded to include other age groups while also simplifying the uniforms, opting for a less formal look. Girls can now choose a vest (color-coded according to age group) to display their merit badges and troop number instead of a sash. Berets, regulation socks and shoes (and the white Cadette blouse and gloves) were phased out during the seventies.
The recently added Daisies (kindergarten to grade 1) wear a blue vest and matching shorts. Brownies (grades 2-3) have a brown skirt and vest/sash over a white or blue shirt. Juniors (grades 4-5) wear a light green skirt and sash/vest. Cadettes (grades 6-8), Seniors (grades 9-10) and Ambassadors (grades 11-12) all wear khaki uniform items with a white or blue shirt of their choosing.
The uniform regulations have become increasingly relaxed over the years. Today in the U.S., Girl Scouts mostly wear just a sash or vest over their regular street clothes. Full uniform display is generally reserved for special events and ceremonial occasions.
Films and music performers
- Whip It (2009); this mainstream comedy features an imaginative homage to the vintage uniform. A lonely girl (Ellen Page) joins a rough-and-tumble female roller derby team. Fancifully named The Hurl Scouts, the team wears modified 60s-era green dress uniforms or vest-and-skirt combinations with insignia and merit badges. (Photo gallery, video clip)
- Troop Beverly Hills (1989); comedy about a rich, spoiled Beverly Hills woman who decides to take over her daughter's girl scout troop, the fictional Wilderness Girls (trailer on YouTube).
- Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004); Ben Stiller comedy centering around a dodgeball tournament. One of the rival teams is the quazi-girl scout Troop 417. They wear khaki dress uniforms with red berets and matching sashes. Despite their sweet, innocent appearance, the 10-12 year olds prove to be ruthless competitors. (YouTube video clip.)
- The Boss (2016); similar to Troop Beverly Hills, a disgraced, once-wealthy businesswoman (Melissa McCarthy) becomes leader of a girl scout troop and strives to turn its cookie-selling business into a huge empire.
A number of rock and pop singers from the 1960s to the present have posed, performed, and appeared in music videos wearing Girl (and Boy) Scout uniforms. Some of these are authentic while others are modified or completely fabricated for a humorous/ironic effect or enhanced sex appeal.
These performers include: Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane), Michelle Phillips (The Mamas and the Papas), Deborah Harry (Blondie), Katy Perry, Fergie (Black Eyed Peas), Hayley Williams (Paramore), Destiny's Child, and Madonna. (See the Links section below for photographs.)
Girl scouts in spanking art and roleplay
Girl scouts are often considered attractive due to their innocence and age, and also due to the connotations of scouts with traditional values such as discipline, obedience and submission to authority. In many forms of media, including mainstream and spanking fiction, girl scouts are spanked or receive another form of corporal punishment for misbehaving. Some spankees role play as a girl scout.
The sexy, adult-size girl scout Halloween costume has been a popular seller for many years. This is usually a skimpy two-piece green or khaki ensemble with matching sash and beret. To avoid legal complications, costume manufacturers generally abstain from using the Girl Scout name and insignia. Instead, some are marketed as "Cookie Girl" costumes (referring to the GSUSA practice of raising funds by selling cookies door to door) with that name printed on the sash.
These costumes (as well as authentic uniforms) are also worn by strippers and actresses performing in porn and spanking/BDSM fetish videos (see Halloween Spankings below).
A few adult-content videos such as Girl Scout Camp below, portray actual teenage girl scouts (presumably age 18 or older). Most producers circumvent any legal issues regarding the age of the characters by doing stories about adults dressing up in scout uniforms for a costume party or Halloween scenario.
- Girl Scout Camp (Rigid East, 2001), 10 young girls commit various misdemeanours at a weekend scout camp and receive F/F punishments (switchings) from their strict scout leader. Their minimal uniform consists of a yellow t-shirt. (Photos)
- Girlscout vs Cheerleader (My Spanking Roommate). Hollie and Sophie dress as a cheerleader and girlscout for a Halloween party. An argument over the paying of the rent results in a series of F/F spankings. (Photos)
- Girlscout vs Brownie (Girl Spanks Girl). F/F punishments with Veronica Ricci as a sexy girl scout and Brownie Ashley Rose. (Photos.)
- Halloween Spankings (Spanking Sorority Girls), in one segment, Sarah Gregory, dressed in a Cookie Girl costume, spanks another girl (photos).
- A Spanker's Guide
- Be Prepared!, video
- Cookie Thieves, image gallery
- The Dutch Girl Scout, photos
- Fantasy Spanking, Part 5
- Girl Guide Mayhem, gallery
- Halloween Fancy Dress Spanking, video
- The Hot Bully, video
- Humiliating Paddling for Jasmine, gallery
- Kami Robertson is The Race Cheat, video
- Sarnies & Red Bottoms, video
- When Ironing Goes Wrong (Danielle Hunt), image gallery
- Girl Guide and Girl Scout on Wikipedia
- Brownie (Girl Guides) on Wikipedia
- Girl Scouts of the USA on Wikipedia
- Girlguiding UK on Wikipedia