A gag is usually a device designed to prevent speech, often as a restraint device to stop the subject from calling for help. This is usually done by blocking the mouth, partially or completely, or attempting to prevent the tongue, lips, or jaw from moving in the normal patterns of speech. They are often less effective in reality than in crime fiction. They carry a strong risk of killing the victim by suffocation. In fact, the more "effective" a gag appears to be, the more hazardous it is.
Gags in BDSM and spanking
Gags are sometimes used in the context of consensual BDSM activities. In consensual spanking, the spankee may be fitted with a gag by the spanker in order to reduce screaming or begging. The use of a gag must be with mutual agreement. Once the gag has been fitted and the spanking begins, the spanker hears little in the way of verbal response. In consensual spanking, the spanker may seek to push the spankee beyond to the point of comfort, which is often the objective of a consensual spanking. During a spanking the subject may become hysterical, emanating screams that are masked by the gag. In some role playing scenarios, the subject is gagged as part of a kidnap or other surprise.
Gags are profoundly erotic, but can kill someone who is left unattended. Placing a gag on anybody is very risky, as it involves a substantial risk of asphyxia, particularly if the subject's nose is blocked by the gag. Using a gag on somebody who is ill, or affected by some condition such as the common cold, catarrh, hayfever or the flu, is also quite dangerous, as most gags inhibit breathing through the mouth. Vomiting and choking is also a risk, which further blocks the airway. For this reason, a gagged subject should never be left alone.
A gag also prevents the spankee from using a safeword. Therefore, a non-verbal safeword may be used instead. In practice, no gag is effective enough to completely silence someone without inhibiting breathing. Most gags that do stop the subject from making intelligible speech still allow loud inarticulate vocal noises to call for help. Thus, a pattern of noises, such as three grunts in rapid succession, is sometimes used as a safeword by BDSM players. It is also common to use an additional non-verbal safety mechanism, such as a solid object held in the hand, which can be released by the gagged person as a sign that they are in distress.
Most conventional wisdom dictates that this type of bondage be used with supervision and care. Practitioners of self-bondage need to be particularly careful with gag use.
Types of gags
- Ball gag: A rubber or plastic ball held in the mouth.
- Drool gag: Hollow plastic ball gag with holes.
- Bit gag: A stiff rod, usually rubber, forced between the teeth, based on a horse's bit.
- Cleave gag: A cloth strip forced between the teeth.
- Funnel gag: A funnel and tube inserted into the mouth, designed for forced drinking of fluids.
- Forniphilia gag: "Human furniture" gag with attachments for ash tray, feather duster, dildo, toilet paper holder, toilet scrub brush, etc.
- Hand gag: A gag created by placing one person's palm over another person's mouth.
- Inflatable gag (or pump gag): similar in concept to a ball gag, an inflatable ball placed in the mouth.
- Locking ball gag: Hollow rubber ball, which allows the wearer to breathe through the mouth, riveted to a plate.
- Jennings gag: A medical device designed to hold the mouth open.
- Muzzle gag: A leather cover for the mouth, forcing the mouth closed and straps to keep the mouth shut.
- OTM (over-the-mouth) gag: A cloth strip wrapped over the mouth. A non-effective gag used mostly for visual appeal in bondage photography and videos.
- Penis gag: A short silicone dildo, sometimes shaped like a butt plug, forced into the mouth.
- Ring gag (or O-ring gag): A ring inserted into the mouth holding it open.
- Scold's bridle: A humiliating Renaissance-era head-covering contraption that used a metal plate to flatten the tongue.
- Soap gag: A bar of soap shoved into a victim's mouth, sometimes held in place with rope. (See also mouthsoaping)
- Spider gag: A variation on the ring gag.
- Stuff gag: A wad of cloth stuffed into the mouth.
- Tape gag: The use of wide sticky tape such as silver duct tape to close the mouth.
- Tube gag: A tube inserted into the mouth holding it open for inserting fluids or "human urinal" humiliation training.
- Whitehead gag: A medical device designed to hold the mouth open.
- Pervertible gag: Improvised gags using common household or equestrian products (see photos).
A leather Muzzle gag.
Pervertible rubber horse bit with added strap for use on humans.
A leather Bit gag.
A leather Ring gag.
|This page uses content from Gag. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Spanking Art, the text of Wikipedia is available under a copyleft license, the Creative Commons Attribution Sharealike license.. The original article was at|
|This page uses content from Wipipedia. The original article was at Gag. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Spanking Art, the text of Wipipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|