A dunce cap or dunce's hat is a tall, pointed hat, traditionally worn as a mark of shame by children in school who have done poorly in their schoolwork, or have misbehaved, as a form of psychological punishment. The word dunce originated in the 16th century as term of abuse; it is a synonym for one incapable of learning.
Design and use
Dunce caps are traditionally white cone-shaped paper hats with the word "Dunce" or just the letter "D" written on the front. They were usually improvised by the teacher by folding a large sheet of white construction paper or even a newspaper.
A student made to wear a dunce cap was usually required to sit on a special punishment stool (often a high stool, like a barstool), in a form of corner time. Another common variant was to make the student stand, instead of sit, on a bench, stool or chair, so that they will be better seen (and thus more shamed).
In Europe (e.g., Germany, Switzerland, and the Netherlands) and Mexico, the common 18th and 19th century variant of the dunce cap was the donkey cap – a cap with donkey's ears to symbolize stupidity -.
Roleplay and fetish films
Dunce caps are now very rarely used in actual schools, but may be used in school-based roleplay scenes, and in spanking stories with historical settings. The cap is also used as a costume item in underground fetish films about schoolgirls who receive corporal punishment.
The mainstream comedy film The House Bunny (2008) uses the cap in a fetish fantasy context. During a photo-shoot for a sexy sorority girl calendar, a semi-nude Rumor Willis strikes a "naughty schoolgirl" pose on a stool wearing the cap and holding a ruler. A bonus feature included on the DVD release shows some spanking poses not seen in the film. (See photo.)
Various pin-up artists in the 1940s and '50s such as Gil Elvgren have also used the cap in a playfully risque manner. (See illustration.)
- Adriana's Paperbag Dunce Cap (Spanking House Productions), Adriana Evans, photos
- Behind The Bike Sheds (Northern Spanking), Leia-Ann Woods, photos
- Cheer Girl Detention (Triple A Spanking); British cheerleader punished at school, photo gallery
- The Dunce (Caned On The Bare) (Caned Schoolgirls) - plot & pics on Caned SchoolGirls Blog, trailers: 31 sec. (WMV) on Caned Schoolgirls, 30 sec. and 54 sec. (FLV) on Spanking Tube, Teen Spanking Tube, and Spanking Library. Also distributed by NaughtyBottom.com (photos).
- Final Exam (Sting-Ray Prods.), amateur video of cap-wearing schoolgirl punished in class (video clip).
- School Days in "Paradise" - YouTube video clip ending with dunce cap punishment.
- Lies and Punishment (Triple A Spanking, 2018), student Apricot and Sarah Gregory as the school nurse.
- Spanked In Front of the Class (Pacific Force); traditional punishments at a girls' school.
- Unknown pornographic film (at PornHub) with a schoolgirl in a dunce cap.
Gallery 1 (art)
"Hogarth's First Sketch", painting by Robert William Buss.
Watercolour painting by John Masey Wright (1777–1866). A schoolboy is punished with a dunce cap and flag, and his teacher has a birch rod ready.
"Cutting off Supplies" by Thomas Webster (1800-1886).
"Unhappy Boy, Are You Ashamed Of Yourself?" by Hugh Thomson (1860–1920).
Gallery 2 (photos)
A dunce cap in a schoolroom ready for use.
Pupil (doll) sitting in the corner wearing a dunce cap in St John’s Schoolhouse Museum
- "College Haze" A story featuring Dunce Cap punishment as part of college hazing
- Girl in dunce cap (stock photo)
- Dunce cap erotic images (art and photos)
- Boy wearing dunce cap (stock photo)
- Boy wearing a dunce cap sitting in front of a blackboard with the lines "I will be good" (stock photo)
|Diaper discipline • Donkey cap • Dunce cap • Electric training diaper • Exposure • Petticoat punishment • Punishment haircut • Spanking clothing • Torso shield • Welsh Not|