Chastening Instrument is the name given for a type of spanking implement by devotees of the Christian parenting seminar Growing Kids God's Way. It is a tonguelike strip of flexible material; such as rubber shoe sole, leather, rubberized canvas, or polyurethane.
New Zealand insurance salesman Philip Holdway-Davis started a media firestorm when he tried to sell chastening instruments along with a three part explanatory video Safe Smack in 1997.
Chastening instruments appeared in Episode 7 of ABC's reality show Wife Swap "Bittner/Reimer: Like Getting Hit With a Whacker" in 2004.
A couple selling chastening instruments (flexible polyurethane, unbreakable and portable, 9 by 1 inches (23 cm × 3.8 cm), $6.50) out of their 1⁄2home were harassed by anti-spanking activists until they went out of business and left their home town in 2006. See also Stop the Rod.
- Outcry over 'safe smacking' video on World Corporal Punishment Research
- Wife Swap, Episode 7: Bittner/Reimer: Like Getting Hit With a Whacker
- NewsChannel 19 Special Report: Divine Discipline
- Archive of Child Training Resources Order page for Chastening Instrument (no longer for sale)
- Article with a photo of a Chastening Instrument
- News Report featuring another Chastening Instrument
|Elastic Flat Implements|