A butter paddle is a wooden kitchen utensil that was used in the traditional making of butter. It is shaped like a short paddle and often has grooves cut into the blade. To make butter, chunks of solidified cream are worked with the butter paddle to force the liquid out of them, stiffening the consistency of the butter. The grooves in the paddle help in draining the liquid away.
A set of two butter paddles can also be used to make decoratively ridged butter balls by placing a small lump of cold butter between the two paddles and rubbing together in a circular motion. In a similar fashion, one can also use them to make homemade gnocchi.
There are also butter paddles that are not flat but bowl-shaped like an oversized scoop or wooden spoon.
Butter paddles and spanking
An old wooden paddle (laundry beater? butter paddle?) in a museum in Portugal.
- What is a butter paddle?
- Butter Paddle
- Putter paddles and spatulas in different sizes
- U.S. butter paddle, 1940s
- Wooden scoop and butter paddle
- Photo of two butter paddles
- New butter paddle for purchase
- 5 primitive Wooden Treen Kitchen Ware, Butter Paddle, Snoop, etc.
- Vintage old antique wood butter paddle
- Treenware butter paddle
|Non-Elastic Flat Implements|